Sunday, October 11, 2009

Our Mortality


Every so often in our lives, we experience moments of clarity which, despite our lack of desire for them, can not ever, ever, be taken back. Amazingly, these brief, but intense moments can, if we acknowledge them, change the course of our lives. Sometimes interpretation can take time. My parents came to visit me at my college apartment this weekend. My dad stopped me in the middle of cooking to show me that our hands are shaped the same. It was so surprising, I didn't know what to say. I've always thought of myself as taking after my mom, but was forced to agree that our hands look the same. I'm not exactly sure why it was so shocking... I can only say that it was one of those moments that makes you stumble, and reevaluate the ideas about life you take for granted. What is it that makes these moments so simultaneously ephemeral and eternal? They've reminded me of my own mortality and power over my life. What makes these moments meld with my consciousness and in my memory so vividly remains something to be discovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment